Pest Control Management in silos and bins
Pests in grain and food processing industries are worldwide known as a big challenge. Due to perfect environmental development conditions in food processing plants it is an extremely difficult to control pests efficiently especially in a tropical climate.
Heat Treatment for pest control in food processing plants is a well-known and proven technology which is used since years mainly in Europe, Japan and North America since Methyl Bromide was banned for fumigation in food processing plants.
Complete factories and plants are heated up to a temperature of above 50 degree Celsius for a period of 24-48 hours, with impressive results. Insects in each development stage die due to the increase of their body temperature. No chemicals are used!
Pest Control in Silos:
During plant fumigations or heat treatments, usually the storage silos are excluded of the treatment as most of them still contain product. In most of the plants it is from production planning point of view not possible to have all the silos empty at the same time. Therefore, each of the silos is fumigated individual according the availability and treatment schedule during the regular plant operation and production.
Challenges with silo fumigation during regular plant operation:
- For each individual fumigation there are maybe approvals required from public authorities.
- Public authorities such as police and surrounding authorities need to be informed about the fumigation.
- Only external service company or company internal person with all the licenses, certificates and trainings can execute a fumigation.
- During the fumigation the building or at least the area below and above the silos need to be evacuated and is not permitted to enter.
- A phosphine fumigation needs at least 3-5 days for a successful treatment depending on the surrounding ambient temperature
- Explosion risk (Phosphine)
- Risk for employees
Löbauer Platz 6
Mo. - Fr: available form 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Uhr
© 2020 Termico